As mentioned in other places on our website, it is a priority to make this event as environmentally friendly as we can. Below is a list of efforts we're making to accomplish this:
- There is no hard copy advertising (posters, flyers, etc.), only web-based and word of mouth
- Registration is paperless and will be online only
- We're only allowing 100 runners total in order to minimize impact to the trails
- There will be no t-shirts, bottles, or other unnecessary manufactured items given out for registrants
- There will be no plastic bags for race packets
- There will be no wasteful handouts (SWAG) for runners that generates waste/trash
- There will be no packet pick-up before race morning because it wastes gas and is unnecessary
- Bibs/numbers will be unused leftovers from other races that we've collected
- Park entry fees will be in place ($5 for IN license plates, $7 for out-of-state) to encourage carpooling
- There will only be two aid stations to reduce trash and encourage runners to carry refillable bottles
- Fruit & snacks available at aid stations will be organic
- Aid station cups will be made from environmentally friendly materials
- Clif Shots will be provided due to being 90% organic and utilizing the "Litter Leash" to help reduce accidental trash
- Water will be purchased in large, returnable/reusable jugs instead of disposable bottles
- Gatorade will be purchased in bulk powdered form (admittedly standard at races) instead of disposable bottles
- Trail marking will be accomplished with reusable signs instead of surveyor's tape, spray paint, paper signs, etc.
- We will be accepting old athletic shoes on race day for recycling. Registered participants who bring a pair will receive $5 to help offset the registration costs
- Finisher's awards for marathoners are hand-made from deadfall wood and reusable rubber stamps
- Awards will only be given to the top two male and female finishers of each race. They will be useful & reusable.
- We will be accepting safety pins (used for numbers) after the race for re-use.
- An additional monthly fee is paid to our website hosting company to go towards more energy-efficient, less environmentally damaging servers and computer equipment
- We will minimize the purchase of new items (borrowing or purchasing used) to reduce manufacturing and unnecessary goods
- In general we will make every effort to keep this event as simple as we can. Please keep this in mind and remember that it's for the benefit of Lincoln State Park, and the environment as a whole!